Need help identifying a crystal 7515 AW

Submitted by dcflipper on May 7, 2024 - 6:45am

Part No. 7515AW: I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has research material to help identify which watch this crystal may belong to.

Thanks much

Robin

1955mercury
Posted May 8, 2024 - 4:01pm

There's one on ebay and the seller says it fit's a Bulova, Accutron or a Caravelle. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but usually it is up to the buyer to determine which crystal they need. Sellers don't tell you which watch they fit. I'm assuming you are going to sell it. 

GuyMontag
Posted May 8, 2024 - 8:31pm

I know which case, but as you are using photos from this site to sell your products without first asking, I won't be sharing.

dcflipper
Posted May 9, 2024 - 6:07am

In reply to by GuyMontag

Yes, I sell vintage parts, and yes, I use a screenshot of watches from various sites, and yes I refer many customers to this forum to help them find solutions in their sometimes very difficult search for parts. Most importantly, I am a member here and have permission from the admin to post, including a link to my store. I have spent countless hours researching parts for my customers, who often, I do not sell to because I don't have what they need. Why? Because I care about my customers and do not believe money is the end-all. My grandfather was a watchmaker, and I enjoy being a small part of this fascinating trade. My watch customers and those who reach out for help are important to me and I have no problem using a screenshot to add to my listing if it helps someone identify a needed crystal or part. By the way, I have over 3K listings in my store, each listing is a photo I have taken myself and others constantly use my photos and research, rather than take the time to produce their own. As I am sure you know, trying to fit a watch part, most especially a crystal online is extremely difficult and if taking a photo of a watch or movement to add to my listing for informational purposes only helps my customer get the right part, that's what I will be doing. 

GuyMontag
Posted May 9, 2024 - 12:04pm

In reply to by dcflipper

That's great that you are a part of care about the Bulova community. We need more of those types of people. I also consider myself one and like you spend a lot of time researching and directing people to this very helpful site. And I can see how having a photo of the watch that the part goes to can be helpful. I absolutely see your point of view. But I hope you can also see mine. 

I am a landscape photographer and I constantly have people stealing my images and using them on their commercial websites, even straight up selling prints of my photos that they did not license. I am very sensitive to having my images used without my permission and that is what you did. Using someones images without their knowledge or permission is, at best, rude. If you had dropped me an email or message first and asked I would have been more than happy to oblige. As you say, even though it's a commercial endeavor for you it's all in benefit of the community and that is something I can get behind. If you want to use other peoples photos you really should contact them first and ask, especially if those photos are coming from a community that you respect and are a part of.

dcflipper
Posted May 9, 2024 - 12:35pm

You are right, I should have asked. Is it okay if I continue to use the photo? I promise to ask first next time.

GuyMontag
Posted May 9, 2024 - 12:41pm

In reply to by dcflipper

It's all good, thank you for asking. Yes, you can use any of my images in your listings. 

The ABC catalog says this crystal was only used for case 7515 and no other cases. Case 7515 is the 1973 Oceanographer.

dcflipper
Posted May 9, 2024 - 2:14pm

In reply to by GuyMontag

Thank you kindly 😊 and I cannot imagine how frustrating it must be to have your images stolen and sold. Sorry to hear that.

Geoff Baker
Posted May 10, 2024 - 12:07am

A bit late but adding my opinion. Every image I add to this site I watermark for all the reasons mentioned by Guy.  I've seen my images in eBay listings and Etsy and I don't even remember where else. When I do, I ask (OK maybe demand) that they be removed immediatley.  

For the record I also kindly remind folks that when they add a watch to this site using photos from the eBay listing where they bought it, they are technically violating a copyright. If you can't even take your own pictures.........

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted May 10, 2024 - 3:35am

In reply to by Geoff Baker

For any copyright violation to have teeth an image needs to be registered by the owner (the photographer) through the U.S. Copyright Office. (true story) 

For any 'violations' a DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) takedown can be filed even if the image is not copyrighted and the Photographer can prove ownership of the original image.  (enter Your info in the EXIF file of the image, but even that can be removed) 

Yes, when asked any decent human being would remove an image they are using created by someone else, but in no way shape or form are they obligated to.

Also read the fine print, many websites claim ownership to Your images once uploaded. Instagram being one that immediately comes to mind. 

GuyMontag
Posted May 10, 2024 - 1:45pm

In reply to by FifthAvenueRes…

In the US copyright starts the moment the photographer captures the image, it doesn't need to be registered to benefit from the copyright protections that the law provides. However, registering an image does provide a benefit as it can be easier to secure a judgement if it is registered as you can sue for statutory damages and attorney fees, as opposed to just actual damages. You can even register the image after it has been infringed if you do so within 3 months of first publication. And if your image is watermarked and they remove the watermark, that can really escalate the damages.

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted May 11, 2024 - 4:47am

In reply to by GuyMontag

Ownership begins once the shutter is released by the Photographer.

Copyright is a different story.

Trust Me on this, I've been shooting semi-professionally now for 15yrs. 

FifthAvenueRes…
Posted May 11, 2024 - 4:55am

...... and, as far as watermarks go.

Professional photographers don't use them.

Why?

because the're useless. 

GuyMontag
Posted May 11, 2024 - 2:55pm

Copyright exists from the moment you take the photo. This is a quote from copyright.gov:

"...you should know that copyright protection exists from the moment an original work is “fixed” in a tangible medium. For photographers, for example, fixation occurs when you take a picture. You don’t need to do anything else at all for your work to be protected by copyright."

I would agree that watermarks, as a deterrent to image theft, are useless. However, they are useful for people browsing images on 3rd party photography sites if they want to know who took a photo and how to find your website. This is how a lot of landscape photographers who run workshops generate business. So more useful as a business promotion tactic than a theft deterrent.